Saturday, March 15, 2014

Sauerkraut Soup



I don't know why I thought this would be a St. Patricks-y recipe for you...I guess it's probably more German than anything.  But...maybe you'll have leftover sauerkraut from Reuben night that you are looking to use up?

I can pretty much promise that you have no idea how good this soup is.  The sweetness from the tomato, sour from the kraut and smoky kielbasa all go together beautifully.  The recipe is super easy.  My only complaint is that it makes a huge batch, and this soup is best eaten the same day.  It's still good left over, but isn't one of those soups to improve with age.  So you might want to cut this in half.  I'll write the recipe as is in my grandma's church cookbook, and you can do what you like with it.

Sauerkraut Soup
Serves 4 for several days.

1 pound smoked kielbasa, sliced into bite sized pieces
5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large onion, diced
16 ounces chicken stock
32 ounces sauerkraut, lightly rinsed and drained
6 ounces tomato paste

In a large pot, combine sausage, potatoes, onion and stock.  Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.  Add kraut and tomato paste and mix well.  Cover and simmer 30 additional minutes.  For a thinner soup, add more stock.

Yum!  I love this soup!  Elaine Pickett, who printed this recipe in the church cookbook, states "The taste of this soup surprises you."  And she's right, it does.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...