Saturday, May 17, 2014

Beef Brisket



I don't know why I've been obsessed with making a brisket roast, but it's been on my list for a while. I thought it was a cheap cut of meat that I should learn how to slow roast to perfection. Well, turns out it's not cheap at all...but it's true that when it's done right, it's fantastic!  Give yourself some time for this (or at least know your oven will be occupied for the day).  It bakes for a total of 6 and a half hours!  But it's tender and flavorful and well worth the wait.


I will admit that Steve and I thought this recipe was kind of bland. Like "where's the hit of vinegar and spice?" kind of thing. But my kids were crazy about it and were begging for a repeat before the table was cleared. I'm thinking that to them, all of our meals may be starting to taste the same. A punch of acid and spice and a handful of cilantro. So this meal's for them :)

Beef Brisket
By Harriet Trohdahl, from my Grandma Betty's church cookbook.  Serves four.

3 to 4 pound beef brisket roast
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 package dry onion soup powder

Mix ketchup, brown sugar and soup powder together.  Pour over the roast and turn to coat.  Wrap the roast tightly in several layers of foil.  You might want to bake this in a disposable foil pan.  I ruined one of my pans making this when the foil wrap leaked.  Bake at 300F for 5 hours.  Cool completely, then slice against the grain.  Turn the slices in the sauce and re-wrap in foil.  Bake at 325F for 1 and a half hours.  Serve warm as a main course or serve on soft buns with fixings. 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...